If you have more than one cat like us, you’ll understand it can be tricky to organize their meal times. Amongst all the daily to-dos, I sometimes feel quite overwhelmed.
Table of Contents
- 5 Top Picks: Best Automatic Cat Feeders Comparison Table
- Best Automatic Cat Feeders
- 1. PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Cat Feeder
- 2. Feed and Go Smart Feeder
- 3. Ergo Systems Cat Feeder
- 3. Robotic Dry Feeder Food Dispenser by Cat Mate
- 4. Diamond Series V3 Cat Feeder by Crown Majestic
- 5. Petsafe 5Meal Automatic Dispenser Feeder
- 6. Six Meals Dispenser
- 7. Lentek 6-Day Automatic Cat Feeder
- 8. Aspen Le Bistro Portion-Control Automatic Feeder
- 9. Eatwell 2 Meal Automatic Dispenser
- 10. Bergan Gourmet Food and Waterers Automatic Feeder
- 11. WoPet Automatic
- Benefits of Having Automatic Cat Food Feeders
- What Makes A Good Automatic Feeder?
- What are Some Possible Disadvantages?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Introducing Your Cat To A Feeder
5 Top Picks: Best Automatic Cat Feeders Comparison Table
|Brand||My Rating||Food Storage Capacity||Timer Settings||Type of Food|
|Petsafe Healthy||Up to 24 cups of food||Program up to 12 meals a day with slow feed mode and anti jamming features||Dry & semi moist foods|
|4.3L||Up to 4 meals/day. Control using your smart phone!||Dry food (size must be 0.2-0.59 inch)|
|48oz total (8oz in each of the 6 compartments)||Great automatic cat feeder! Feed and control from your smart phone, anytime! Watch from the built in web cam.||Wet, dry and even treats|
|400ml||Perfect for multiple cats or dogs! Recognises your cat and each one’s diet/feeding routine.||Dry & Wet|
|10lbs||Up to 8 meals a day||Dry kibble|
Best Automatic Cat Feeders
1. PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Cat Feeder
- Dry kibble and semi-moist foods for your cat or dog
- 1/8 cup to 4 cups serving sizes
- Stainless Steel Bowl
- 12 meals each day
- Programmable LCD screen display
- Can dispense food in Slow Feeding Mode over 15 minutes.
2. Feed and Go Smart Feeder
This super useful feeder even has a webcam so you can monitor your dog or cat. It’s a 2 in 1! I love the 6 compartments which lets me dispense 8oz cup per compartment. You can use it for multiple cats too. This automatic feeder for cats also has a microphone built in. You can schedule up to 6 meals daily and control the feeder from your phone.
The main disadvantage of this automatic cat feeder is that you cannot control it without the Internet.
- Wet or dry food
- 6 compartments of 8oz each
- Has a webcam
- Multiple cats and multiple meals a day!
- Control everything via iOS or Android app
3. Ergo Systems Cat Feeder
- 5lbs tank size
- Dry foods only
- Can be programmed for a small quantities such 4 to 5 kibbles of food if need.
- 8 meals each day
- Digital cat timer feeder with battery backup for programs
- Works with AC adapter and with batteries as backup for programs
3. Robotic Dry Feeder Food Dispenser by Cat Mate
- 6.5lbs tank size
- Dry foods only
- Serving size is a minimum of 2 teaspoons (10g) and upwards
- 3 meals per day
- Easy to program using the LCD screen control
- Works with 4 C batteries (not included)
4. Diamond Series V3 Cat Feeder by Crown Majestic
- 4.4lbs tank size
- Dry foods only
- Gravity cat feeder
- Voice recorder
- Dispenses 1/4; 1/2; 3/4; 1 and 2 cups of dry food
- 4 Meals per day
- Equal hour intervals. i.e 1 feeding every 24hrs 2 feedings every 12 hrs
- Works with 4 AA batteries as a primary source (not included) and with AC 6V adapter (included) in conjunction as battery backup
- Power battery indicator
5. Petsafe 5Meal Automatic Dispenser Feeder
This is another automatic feeder made by PetSafe. It’s a very popular option because it can provide up to 5 meals for your cat or dog, which can be set for everyday use.
Dogs and cats cannot easily turn this automatic feeder over, as it’s quite big and flat – it is very stable indeed. The tray is easy to wash (just pop in the dishwasher), and I do appreciate that I can include wet foods as well. A very useful feeder with timer.
- Dry and wet
- 5 x 1-cup food storage capacity
- 5 meals per day
- Timed cat feeder
- 4 D-cell batteries (not included)
6. Six Meals Dispenser
Featuring 6 compartments (feeds 6 times a day!) and a function to record a 6 second voice message for your cat or dog, this automatic food feeder also has a built in clock. Fill the compartments with either dry or wet foods. I have to say I love the design as well as the secure locking lid, which allows us to keep their food fresh so no bad bacteria infect them.
- 3/4 to 1 cup of food (tank size)
- Dry and wet food
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup serving sizes
- meals 6 times a day
- Built-in clock with easy to read LCD. Records a 6-second personal message. Can only be set in one-hour intervals and it will only program at the top of the hour (11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm, etc…).
- 4 C-cell batteries
- Battery Indicator
7. Lentek 6-Day Automatic Cat Feeder
This model allows you to select intervals of 6, 12 or 24 hours. It also comes with a removable lid and 2 inserts which comes in handy when one is being washed.
- 2/3 cup dry or 5 1/2 ounces tank size
- Dry and wet foods
- 2/3 cup dry or 5 1/2 wet serving size
- meals 6 times a day
- Selectable feeding intervals of 6, 12 or 24 hours
8. Aspen Le Bistro Portion-Control Automatic Feeder
Program up to 3 meals a day in sizes of 1/4 to 3 cups. This Le Bistro timed cat feeder has a gravity design and helps to control your dog/cat’s weight/obesity by controlling the portion size. I also love that it has a microban protection that helps to stop the growth of bacteria and odor.
3D batteries and power adapter must be bought separately.
- Tank Size: 5lbs
- Type of Food: Dry only
- Serving Size: 1/4 to 3 cups
- Meals per day: 3
- Cat Feeder Timer: Can be programmed to dispense up to 3 meals per day
- Power: 3 D-cell alkaline batteries
9. Eatwell 2 Meal Automatic Dispenser
Most experts recommended that dogs should be fed twice a day. That is the logic that this Petsafe automatic feeder is based on. If you only feed your pet twice a day, this will be perfect.
Great for small to medium dogs and felines, this model allows you to set your timer up to 48 hours in advance.
- Tank Size: 1.5 cups each
- Types of Food: Dry and wet
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups each
- Meals per day: 2
- Feeder with Timer: It has a 48-hour timer. You need to reset it after each feeding with no sound
10. Bergan Gourmet Food and Waterers Automatic Feeder
- Tank Size: 13lbs
- Type of Food: Dry foods only
- Serving Size: Will keep supplying food until empty
- Meals Per Day: Will keep supplying food until empty
- Timer: No timer
- Easily buy on amazon
11. WoPet Automatic
This WoPet sleek feeder lets you time up to 4 feedings each day. Great for portion control with a 7 litre food storage capacity.
Benefits of Having Automatic Cat Food Feeders
The best automatic pet feeder supports you when you have busy schedules. If you’re a late riser and tend to rush off to work, these auto feeders come in handy. You don’t have to worry about feeding your cat or dog before you head off. With automatic feeders, you have a set and forget option at your fingertips. Rest assured that there’s always food for your cat or dog.
Some other perks include: Not having to keep track of times to feed your pet . Not having to be alert to stick to a schedule (there are already so many things to keep track of each day!)
For elderly cat owners or pet parents who have physical challenges, it is a much-needed solution to help simplify the feeding task for their cats or dogs.
Also, if you have more than one cat or dog, most automatic dispensers these days have a large enough basin to feed multiple felines or canines. Especially if you have a handful of felines, getting a robotic kitty feeder can help.
What Makes A Good Automatic Feeder?
The 3 main things to keep in mind are the automatic dispenser itself, your cat’s characteristics (breed, size) and your own preferences. Be sure to consider its size when buying one.
Some automatic cat feeders suit bigger animals (they allow a bigger capacity to hold and dispense more food). Other pet food dispensers suit smaller ones more. Here are some questions you might consider:
Choosing a feeder can be a tiresome process due to a variety of options available. There are several important factors to consider when choosing a pet feeder.
- How efficient is it? Is the capacity big enough so you don’t have to refill so often?
- Again, the size of the tank will have to be able to dispense a suitable amount for the size and appetite of your furkid.
- Are the container and dispenser big enough if you have multiple cats?
- What is the kibble size? Some dispensers will transmit the food through a tube, then pour it out. If the kibble you use is too big to let it through, it might get stuck. Some better auto feeders come with adjustable parts for this. So make sure to pay attention to the shape of your kibble as it is a significant factor. If it’s round there will be no problem at all, but if it’s square or any other shape, it might get stuck inside the tube.
- For foods that are longer stored inside the dispenser, an airtight hopper is a must.
- Some cats have health issues. Choose one that has better control of food quantity per serve.
- Some like the Catmate C20 even come with an ice pack. Some even come with water fountains.
1. Different Speed Modes
It is important to choose an automatic feeder dispenser that will dispense just the right amount of food for your cats. In order to prevent your pet from becoming obese, it is necessary to find an automatic pet feeder that gives you lots of control and options such as different speed modes.
2. The Number of Pets
It might not be a good idea to buy one auto cat feeder if you have more than one cat. Cats and dogs can be aggressive when eating and they can prevent others from reaching the food. It is best if you buy separate automatic cat feeders for each.
3. Can Food Feeders be Used For Cats?
There is a great difference between dogs and cats and their dietary needs. If a pet feeder is designed for dogs, you should consider this before using it for your cat.
4. The Amount of Food Dispensed
A perfect automatic feeder should dispense a small amount of food during each feeding time. In this way, you can control how much food does your fur baby eat and prevent your cats or dogs from becoming obese. For fast-eating pets, there is a possibility that the feeder will shut down upon noticing that your pets eat extremely fast. These pet feeders operate on batteries.
5. Big and Small Pets
Automatic cats feeders are specially designed to fit the needs of your cats and dogs. If you own a bigger cat that requires a great amount of food each day, there is a cat feeder designed just for that. On the other side, there are cat feeders for smaller cats as well.
6. How Many Meals Can It Be Programmed For?
Make sure the feeder you choose gives you lots of options and flexibility to program multiple meals each day.
7. How Easy Is It To Use?
There’s no point getting auto feeders so high tech that they’re so difficult to use. It’ll just end up not being used at all! Get a good feeder that’s easy to use and set up.
8. Easy to Clean?
Get one which is easy and convenient to clean, preferably even dishwasher safe. Make sure the food bowls and hopper are both easy to clean.
9. Stable and Sturdy
The last thing you want is to invest in something that’s so flimsy and light. Your hyper and strong dog or your curious cat will easily tip it over, giving you more mess to clean up. The feeder should help you, not cause you more trouble! Get one which is well designed, sturdy and can stand strong on its own.
What are Some Possible Disadvantages?
Nothing’s perfect so there’s definitely downsides to using such feeders. One of the most common points brought up is that the pet owner and the dog or cat will not be able to enjoy bonding time during meals.
Also, there’s the discipline element. I like to be strict with my dog and cat and make them sit patiently to wait during meal times. With the best automatic feeder dispenser, there’s no need to sit or wait. This can be a bit disruptive to your dog or cat’s discipline routine as it’s hard to be consistent.
Lastly, if the automatic cat feeder you pick is not an electronic, computerized feeder (in other words, a gravity one), you won’t be able to control your dog or cat’s meals and portions as much. Your greedy food-loving dog or cat will probably just enjoy gobbling everything up.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) Can I make a customized feeding schedule?
An automatic pet feeder provides the possibility to avoid default feeding schedule and choose the feeding times instead. You can decide on the length of the intervals between each meal, and you can even set the feeder to dispense small amounts of cat food and prevent your pet to become overfed.
2) Does the performance depend on the food my cat eats?
The type of food your cat eats is related to how well the automatic cat feeder performs. For example, the type of cat food will affect the accuracy of the amount dispensed.
3) Is a battery powered cat feeder reliable?
Battery operated automatic cat feeders require long-lasting batteries. Otherwise, it is less reliable than an automatic pet feeder. Battery powered feeders do dispense food even during power outage.
4) Does the programming change when I change the batteries or during a power outage?
It is possible that a battery powered cat feeder may lose the programming when you change the batteries.
5) Can I use theCat Feeder anywhere?
If you would like to be able to feed your cat from anywhere, you should purchase automatic feeders with webcams. You can control the automatic cat feeder through your computer or tablet. In that way, you can make sure that your cat is eating the food.
Introducing Your Cat To A Feeder
Dogs usually adapt a lot faster to the automatic pet feeder. But it is a good idea to monitor them first because they do have the tendency to try to turn the feeder over.
From my experience, cats are a little trickier to train with the feeder dispenser. Yes, you need to do some prep work even with the best automatic cat feeder. Try to place it where you usually feed your cat, right next to their usual cat food bowls. You can even try a feeder dispenser with sounds to attract the attention of your cat!