Looking for an automatic litter box was on my agenda for a long time but I was extremely hesitant. On the one hand, a self cleaning cat litter box would save a lot of time and hassle – especially when we travel or come home late from work.
On the other hand, I just wasn’t too sure about which ones were good. In this article, I compare the 10 best litter box for cats to help you make an informed choice.
If you are like me and have no idea what to look for, you’re in luck because I decided to share my reviews of the boxes I have tried. Investing in one can really help you in your daily cleaning chores when it comes to your cat.
These self cleaning cat boxes can really help to ease your workload (who needs another chore on the list!?) and of course, anything to make your sassy cat happy right? Yes, I did think getting one would make my kitty Lilo love me just a little more. Read on for my automatic cat litter box reviews!
Table of Contents
- Best Self Cleaning Litter Box Reviews – Comparison Table
- Best Automatic Litter Boxes 2017
- Best Covered Litter Box – Hidden
- How Automatic Cat Litter Boxes Can Help?
- How To Choose: Your Automatic Litter Box Reviews?
- Points To Consider:
- Where Should You Place Your Automated Cat litter Box?
Best Self Cleaning Litter Box Reviews – Comparison Table
|Best Litter Box||Check Price:||Multiple Cats?||My Notes:||My Rating Out of 5|
|Litter Robot III||Check Latest Price Here & Get $25 off||Yes||Super strong & durable. Self cleaning. Rotator. Automatic night light. Reduces odor.||4.8|
|Litter Robot LRII||Check Latest Price Here||Yes||Patented sifting design. No rakes/wires. Rotating.||4.7|
|ScoopFree||Check Latest Price Here||Yes||Covered trap. Self cleans for weeks! Very effective at reducing odors.||4.7|
|CatGenie||Check Latest Price Here||Yes but no more than 3.||Self Flushing. Washes itself clean!||4.5|
|LitterMaid Classic LM580||Check Latest Price Here||No.||Strong, durable, high wall design, safety bar||4.4|
|SmartScoop||Check Latest Price Here||Yes||Smart sensor||4.3|
|LitterMaid||Check Latest Price Here||Yes. Great for larger cats too.||Very strong & durable with removable rake||4.6|
|PetSafe Simply Clean||Check Latest Price Here||Yes||Uses less clumping litter||4.5|
|PetZone SmartScoop||Check Latest Price Here||Yes||4 times quieter than others. Easy to clean.||4.3|
|Catitn Design Smartsift||Check Latest Price Here||Yes. All sizes.||Simple, minimalistic design. No motorized pieces.||4.0|
Best Automatic Litter Boxes 2017
Litter Robot III Open Air
Dimensions: 26.8 x 24.4 x 29.1 inches
If you are looking for something unique, you’d want to get this automatic cat litter box that will make other feline owners envious. This Litter-Robot III Open-Air box isn’t just an automatic one, it is a lot more than that. In my opinion, it’s the best cat litter box and lots of people agree it’s worth every cent.
This best kitty litter box is perfect for multiple cats and even helps you save up to half of the usual amount of litter you would use. Its design is definitely a talking point, and the large entry allows your feline(s) to easily and conveniently hop on in! For safety reasons, a very nifty nightlight even comes on in the dark.
This is a sturdy self-cleaning automatic litter box which will impress anyone with its high tech functions. I love the look of it and I initially thought my cat might not like it yet Lilo has really taken to it! Another thing I really love is how well constructed this is. You certainly won’t need to worry yourself about any frequent troublesome maintenance issues – this one has such a good reputation. It’s good value for money in that sense, compared to buying cheaper brands that aren’t as well designed and won’t last as long. Also comes with a 90 day money back guarantee!
- Automatic Self-cleaning (Start to work after 7 minutes after your cat leaves)
- Best cat litter system!
- Unique patented sifting system
- Designed to reduce odor
- Easy to use & clean
- Great for multiple felines
- Big opening – comfortable and spacious
- Night light!
- Great model if you have multiple cats
- Has an automatic night light
- Comes with a 90-day money back guarantee with an 18 month warranty – no harm trying!
- Best sturdy construction on the market
- Reduces odor very effectively compared to other models
- No other special accessories required! Literally start using
- It’s very well enclosed which means no more litter mess!
- It’s quiet and doesn’t scare my cat
Litter Robot LRII
My Rating: 4.7
This is actually the original self cleaning robot litter box that suits small to mid sized felines the best. It has a clean cycle system with slow rotation of the globe for the cleaning job and also suits multiple kitty well. With its 90 day money back guarantee, you really don’t have anything to lose.
How it Works – The self cleaning automatic best kitty litter box weight-activated sensor detects when your kitty enters the box. A clean cycle starts after 7 minutes and rotates the globe slowly in counter-clockwise direction to sift and separate clumps and deposit waste in a large capacity drawer.
- Patented sifting process
- Deposits waste in large-capacity drawer
- Easy & safe to use
- Works without rakes so you don’t have clogging/jamming problems
- Cleans after every use
- Comes with 18 month warranty
- Built with a weight activated sensor that can detect when your cat enters
- Best cat litter system!
Dimensions: 27.4 x 19 x 7 inches
My Rating: 4.7
This self cleaning cat litter box offers hands-off convenience and superior odor control. Featuring a automatic timer for the rake, it also comes with leak proof lining so you can easily clean up. Load ScoopFree Self Cleaning odorless litter box with the disposable tray which is already filled with crystals that absorb moisture and odor much, much better than other brands. It also has a privacy hood if you have an especially shy cat or kitty.
When I had this self cleaning cat odorless litter box for two years, I was very happy with it and didn’t have any problems. It’s very effective at handling urine and you don’t need to change the tray that often. Usually, about 9 to 15 days is good enough. Read my in depth Scoop Free Review Here
- Premium Blue Crystals controls odor really, really well!
- Dust free
- Does not stick to paws
- Rakes waste into closed waste compartment
- Safety sensors
- Disposable trays
- Adjustable timer for rake
How it Works – Uses a disposable crystal litter which absorbs liquid waste and dries out solid waste. System rakes to clean. Solid waste is sealed in odor-controlling and covered waste trap.
The self cleaning rake of this best automatic kitty litter box will automatically clean out your kitty cat’s waste 5, 10 or 20 minutes after your cat is done. Don’t worry if your cat suddenly decides to re-enter it. The machine sensors will simply reset for another 5, 10 or 20 minutes depending on your settings.
- Really easy to set up
- Choose your own cleaning cycle time delay for 5, 10 or 20 minutes
- Comes with a privacy hood and many cats like that
- It’s rather quiet compared to other brands
- Comes with a long electrical cord
CatGenie Self Washing Self Flushing Box
Dimensions: 24.5 x 19.2 x 21 inches
My Rating: 4.5
This is the world’s only self-flushing, self cleaning and self-washing litter box with washable granules. This best kitty litter box is germ, odor, dust and litter free and automatically washes, sanitizes and dries itself. This is great for 1 or 2 cats but I wouldn’t recommend for any more than 3. You do have to hook it up to water and power but if you really prioritize hygiene, I would say this is one of the better ones you can get. It literally works like a toilet! Read my full review of Cat Genie here!
- Flushes waste and cleans itself
- 100% dust free!
- Washable granules used instead of clay so your kitty can still dig and cover to its heart’s content
- Includes biodegradable & recyclable cartridge
- Several activation choices
- Perfect for 1-2 felines but no more than 3
- Needs to hook up to electricity and cold water
- Really easy and quick to put together
- Low maintenance and easy to use
- No more litter tracks!
- No more litter odor!
How it Works – Recommended to install in a bathroom where there’s access to cold water. This is self-cleaning litter box which flushes away the waste after use and washes itself clean without you having to do anything at all.
Dimensions: 26.5 x 16.9 x 7.6 inches
My Rating: 4.3
This self cleaning litter box comes with an automatic smart sensor which triggers the activation of the cleaning cycle. It’s known for being very quiet and easy to disassemble for cleaning.
- 4 times quieter operation than other brands
- Perfect solution to odor and waste control
- Picks up only dirty litter and doesn’t use as much
- Works with any clumping litter that you already have
- Uses carbon zeolite filters that absorbs odors
- Strong metal rake design. Sturdy metal gears.
- Deflector is on a raised height so litter is in box, off the floor. More hygienic.
- One of the quietest models
- Also comes with a month’s supply of No Touch plastic bags
- Comes with one year warranty
- Lowest cost to operate
- Rated “best performer” by a third party test lab
- Requires less litter to be used
- Stays clean, making it hygienic
- How it Works – This best litterbox is widely known as the most popular option for multiple cats. It is self cleaning and comes with a smart sensor to activate the cleaning cycle. The scooping and motor rake runs for 15 minutes after your cat leaves with a quiet and powerful motor.
Litter Maid LM980
Dimensions: 26.5 x 16.9 x 7.6 inches
My Rating: 4.6
- Features adjustable programming, this is ideal for households with more cats. This self cleaning litter box also holds 50% more litter than other brands and you can remove the rake easily with a quick push of 2 buttons. It’s also easy to clean and has extra high walls to keep all the litter and mess in. Littermaid starts scooping your cat’s waste automatically 10 minutes after your kitty is done. It scoops it into a disposable receptacle which is sealed. At the same time, the carbon filters will do the job of absorbing odors.
- Large sized design with high walls
- Has safety bar which stops rake in case of blockage
- Easy to clean & set up
- Carbon filters reduce odor
- Great for multiple felines. Even felines above 15lbs.
- Comes with lots of accessories: removable rake, removable tray, battery back-up, 4 sealed waste receptacles and 4 carbon filters
- Solid, sturdy drive mechanism that is very durable
- Rake can be easily removed for cleaning
- Easy and quick to set up and start using
PetSafe Simply Clean Continuous-Clean
Dimensions: 26 x 19 x 10 inches
My Rating: 4.5
This is a unique automatic system from Petsafe that cleans and removes wastes and continuously to a built-in waste container via a slow-moving Conveyor System.
- Reduces odor and bacterial
- Simple to set up, use and clean
- Uses less clumping litter
- Quiet operation
- No special bags needed
- Runs on low voltage AC power adapter
- Suits felines up to 15 lbs
- 1 year warranty
- How it Works – The waste is sifted through and is made to move up the conveyor belt and right into the waste container. Self cleaning. Remove waste container and dump waste in the trash to clean.
LitterMaid LM580 Classic
Dimensions: 17.2 x 9.3 x 24.3 inches
My Rating: 4.4
This self-cleaning litter box takes away the need to scoop daily and keeps the home smelling fresh and looking clean. It comes with a compact designing and has a removable robotic rake which removes the waste. Read my detailed Littermaid Review here
- Ideal for single-feline households
- Comes with adjustable programming
- Reduces litter
- Comes with detachable rake mechanism
- Very quiet compared to other models
- The rake is very effective and quick
- The box’s design is longer, wider and deeper so it holds more litter for your convenience
How it Works – It scoops your cat’s waste into a closed and disposable receptacle which has a carbon filter in it to absorb and remove odors. The dual-motion sensors scoop and remove waste easily.
Dimensions: 26.5 x 16.9 x 7.6 inches
My Rating: 4.2
Technologically advanced, this self cleaning cat box scoops from the kitty box and deposits it into a bin after your cat leaves the box. The Activated Carbon Filter in the bin helps to eliminate odor. Low maintenance and easy to clean, all you have to do is remove the rake, waste bin and slide off the motor unit.
- Eliminates odor
- Easy to clean and empty
- Uses any clumping litter
- 6-month supply of activated carbon filters
- All parts are removable
- Comes with one year warranty
- Low maintenance
- How it Works – The rake moves forward to scoop the clumps forward and then puts them into the waste bin. The bin comes with a no-touch waste bag so that the waste can be disposed off easily.
Catit Design SmartSift Sifting Pan
Dimensions: 26.6 x 19.3 x 18.5 inches
My Rating: 4.0
This is a sifting cat pan which allows you to forget all about maintenance. It has a pull-and-refresh system which you simply pull the lever to get rid of the waste.
- Scoops by pulling the lever
- No motorized pieces
- Less expensive
- Sealed design
- Suitable for felines of all sizes
- How it Works – You simply have to pull down the lever to activate a seamless and quiet process which efficiently and rapidly sifts and disposes off the waste for you.
Best Covered Litter Box – Hidden
Most cats really love their privacy. In fact, my cat almost borderlines being mysterious and secretive sometimes!
If your cat is super shy and private, then you might want the best covered litter box with a hood. I definitely recommend the Hagen Catit above for this.
It’s large enough and has a big hood to cover it all. Yet inside it is comfortable and spacious. You can even keep the hood open if you wish to.
Designed to get rid of odors effectively, this Catit box has a carbon filter inside that does the job really well. Feel free to use this for multiple cats as well – it is very durable and will hold up well.
How Automatic Cat Litter Boxes Can Help?
- Cheaper to purchase
- Quiet and safe to use
- Saves time
In this day and age where we are all so busy, who wants to spend time dealing with kitty waste? It’s a lot easier and more efficient to automate the process and free up your time for other more important things. You won’t find yourself scooping every single day. Instead, you’ll only be doing it once in a while.
For your kitty and for yourself. Using a great self cleaning box means you do not have to really come into contact with kitty litter. If you use non-clumping litters, you’d know that they can get filthy and out of control quickly even if you scoop daily. The urine-soaked clay left behind makes it unpleasant for your home as well as for your cat. Your cat’s automatic litterbox will also always remain clean without your consistent ‘work’ to clean up. You won’t be getting bad odors as well. It’s a win-win situation isn’t it?
- Pamper your kitty
Our kitties really don’t ask for much. They just want love, food and a basic clean bathroom. It really provides a better clean-smelling environment (don’t forget – felines have a much more sensitive sense of smell than us. If you want compare it in our human world equivalent, it’s like using a proper, fresh toilet as compared to a portable bathroom! A pretty clear choice if you ask me.
How To Choose: Your Automatic Litter Box Reviews?
It’s hard enough deciding to take the plunge in this automatic litter box review and make the investment to buy a self cleaning litter box. But it’s even more challenging when you realize how many different brands and varieties there are on the market. Here are some pointers you should bear in mind when you’re trying to choose the most suitable one.
Think about how much space you have and where you’re going to store the automatic litter box. If you live in a smaller apartment, you might want to go with something a lot smaller and compact. Also, take into consideration the sizes of your cats. Some cats like bigger boxes, some likes smaller, cozier ones.
How It Works
Even though your automatic box is supposed to take the work load off you, some still do require more effort from you to dispose of the litter. So make sure you choose something that has a comfortable price point for your budget and make sure you understand how it works (and whether you want to do what it requires of you or not).
Some automatic boxes require you to plug it in to an electrical source. Is that something you would like? Is the spot where you’re going to put it accessible to any electrical power points?
Points To Consider:
- Ensure that you have enough space. Especially if you live in a smaller apartment.
- For younger kittens, remember not to use non clumping litter
- Don’t force your kitty to use it. Be patient and allow your cat to get used to it.
Where Should You Place Your Automated Cat litter Box?
Now, you have to decide where the best optimum place is to put your automated cat litter box. Of course, the first tip is to put it somewhere that is easy for your cats to find.
A Safe and Quiet Environment
If it’s not safe or too noisy, your cat will probably shy away from it. Try to put it somewhere with fewer strangers and disturbances. Cats are also known to be afraid of loud noises (like washing machines!) so even though the laundry area seems to be a nice place to tuck it away in, be aware that your cat might be frightened by a loud, vibrating washing machine! If you really have to place it in the laundry area, then remember to place it further away from the washing machine.
Also, try to keep the automated litter box away from dryers or even dogs. Your cat might be too worried about being pounced on while doing its business.
If You Have A Garden…
If you’re lucky enough to have a nice spacious garden, then it’ll be ideal to place your best self cleaning cat litter box near the porch.
Privacy Is Best
It’s no secret that cats love their privacy, especially when they have to eliminate. Some private areas to consider are a spare bathroom or bedroom.
Especially for very young or very old cats, placing the automated litter box in a bedroom upstairs isn’t ideal. Try not to force your cat to climb the stairs just to use the litter box. Older cats might also suffer from arthritis, causing them a lot of pain if they have to climb stairs.
Basements seem quiet and private enough. However, they are usually too dark and even damp – this can lead to bacteria breeding in your cat’s litter box. Overall, not the best spot.
All Levels Might Be Necessary
If you’ve got quite a few cats, it might be necessary to place a litter box on every single level.
Getting the best litter box for your cat is certainly a good long term investment. They are great, budget friendly and your cats are surely going to love them.