Corn cat litter is one of the most popular alternatives to traditional clay litter. With the generally natural ingredient list, and other benefits, there is no surprise that many are choosing to switch to this. No matter how good the best cat litter may be, switching cat litters is never an easy task which is why we have compiled some helpful information and a list of our favorite corn cat litters to make the transition a little bit easier.
What is Corn Cat Litter?
As the name would indicate, it is cat litter made from corn. While some of them are 100% corn-based cat litters, others mix corn with pine, cedar, plant fibers, other natural or unnatural ingredients.
Best Corn Cob Cat Litter in 2020
World s Best cat litter is made from entirely natural ingredients which makes it not only a safe option for your cat, but also a safe option for the planet. The ingredient list is short and sweet since this cat litter is made from only compressed corn, wood fibers and a few other natural plant-based ingredients. The natural ingredient list makes World s Best litter both flushable and biodegradable, so you have far more options for disposing of than with a litter with unnatural ingredients.
- World s Best cat litter is an excellent option for a household of many cats or someone looking to stock up on cat litter since litter is available in multiple sizes ranging from 7 to 28-pound bags.
- Though the smells are rather mild with this litter, it does an incredible job at masking all smells, so long as the waste is cleaned as recommended
- Upon contact with any liquids, the corn-based cat litter granules naturally clump together which makes disinfecting easier and prevents messes at the bottom of your litter box.
- Though this World s Best corn-based cat litter is supposed to work with automatic litter boxes, it does not work as well as clay litter.
- Because of the consistency of the clump litter, there is a good chance that your cat will track some litter around the house.
2. Arm & Hammer Litter Naturals Clumping Cat Litter
While many people may recognize the name Arm & Hammer from the boxes of baking soda, Arm & Hammer has found a way to master another product. Arm & Hammer cat litter is made from entirely natural ingredients and similar to the product listed above, the ingredient list is short including only corn, odor neutralizers and no surprise baking soda. The extra ingredients, other than the corn are entirely focused on masking smells, which makes this litter an excellent option for anyone looking for a strong and effective odor eliminating cat litter.
- Arm & Hammer cat litter is 50% lighter than any clay cat litter, even those in smaller clay cats litter container sizes, making it an excellent option for all those who do not feel like straining themselves to refill your litter box or who have to carry the litter bag up apartment stairs.
- On top of the naturally absorbent corn granules, this cat litter includes some other natural clumping agents which will clump almost immediately after contact with liquids, which will prevent any liquid from making a mess.
- The corn, baking soda and extra plant based ingredients work together to create an extremely effective odor control formula, perfect for anyone who shares a room with their cat’s litter.
- Though this litter clumps almost instantly, the clumps do not always remain clumped for long, and the clumps can break apart when scooping out the waste if you are not aware.
- While Arm & Hammer cat litter is made from natural ingredients, it is neither biodegradable or flushable, which limits your disposing methods.
3. Tidy Cats Pure Nature Cat Litter
Tidy Cats cat litter is an extremely budget-friendly option for pet owners looking for an affordable corn cat litter. This cat litter is 99% natural with the main ingredients being corn, pine and cedar.
- The ingredients in this cat litter are all efficient at clumping when in contact with liquids which will make cleaning easier than ever.
- Between the corn and natural wood smells, this cat litter does an excellent job at masking even the strongest of smells.
- Likely the most appreciated positive that this litter has going for itself is the affordable price tag, which is due to the wood in the litter.
- Though this litter is 99% natural, it is neither flushable or biodegradable.
- This litter certainly has a stronger smell than the other products on the list, which may not be for everyone.
4. Nature’s Miracle Corn Cob Litter
Nature’s miracle has been in the corn cat litter game for over 30 years now, which explains how they have mastered their formula. The ingredients in this litter work together to not only mask smells, but also to clump instantly when in contact with liquid and stay clumped for easy clean up.
- This cat litter is 99.9% dust-free which not only reduces potential tracking in the house but also makes it an excellent option for all those cats and humans with allergies to be dust-free.
- As soon as this litter clumps, which is immediately after liquid or solid waste comes into contact with it, it begins to mask the smell, and within no time the smell will be completely gone.
- This litter clumps almost automatically as it comes into contact with your cat’s waste, but unlike other cat litters, it actually stays in a solid clump, which makes clean up completely hassle-free.
- The smell of this litter seems to be of great debate with many buyers to purchase, some love the smell, others find it to smell chemical. We found ourselves in the third category of those who barely noticed the smell. Overall, consider whether or not your litter box is in an area where you will smell it, in the case that the smell is not to your preference.
5. Rufus & Coco Wee Kitty Clumping Cat Litter
Rufus & Coco corn cat litters stand out from the other litters on this list since it is not granulated and instead it is in an almost pellet-shape. This is advantageous for a few reasons, it will not track around your house, it is easy to clean and it will not matt in your cat’s fur.
- While we know corn cat litter is extremely absorbent, Rufus and Coco corn cat litters go above and beyond and are proven to be four times more absorbent than common clay litters.
- This corn cat litters are extremely absorbent, so much so that the pellets will almost immediately absorb any liquid waste and clump together to make cleaning your cat’s litter box a breeze.
- The ingredient list is all-natural, so natural that it is biodegradable and flushable even in septic tanks.
- Most cats tend to have trouble adjusting to pellet cat litters and the transition can be a little awkward at first, and though most get over it, some cats never fully adjust to standing on the pellets.
6. Frisco All Natural Pine & Corn Clumping Cat Litter
Another more affordable option on this list is Frisco’s all natural pine and corn cat litters, perfect for any cat parent on a budget. With this litter, the ingredient list is so simple that it is found in the name; pine and corn, that’s it. The entirely natural ingredient list, means it is both biodegradable and flushable, making it overall extremely convenient to dispose of waste, no matter your circumstances and environment.
- Upon opening the bag, you will be greeted with an extremely pleasant, natural smell helps in odor control that does wonders for masking your cat’s odors.
- Similar to the other listings, Frisco all natural cat litter clumps with ease, almost as soon as any liquid hits the surface of the litter, which will make scooping and the overall cleaning process easier.
- The simple and entirely natural ingredient list makes this litter flushable and biodegradable as well as safer for your cat and be environmentally friendly.
- While these corn cat litters will clump almost immediately, it does not clump like other clumping corn cat litters. Instead of forming a large clump, the Frisco cat litters breaks apart into small clumps which can be inconvenient.
- Though this corn litter is almost entirely dust-free for environment, it has been known to leave some tracks.
7. Zero Mess By World s Best Advanced Pine Scented Cat Litter
Every litter has a focus, something that it specializes in, and with World’s Best Cat zero mess kitty litter, the focus is clear in the name. With World s Best corn based cat litter, every specific ingredient helps to prevent potential messes which often make cleaning your cat’s litter box the worst chore.
- Its quick-clumping nature of these World’s best corn cat litters, prevents any liquids from reaching the bottom of your litter box, which will in the long run make cleaning your cat’s litter box far less of a hassle.
- The blend of corn, pine and plant fibers, work together to mask smells, without any added scents or chemicals necessary.
- The natural ingredient list is safe for the environment and safe for flushing to make disposing of your cat’s waste easier than ever.
- Since the natural scent of World s Best corn based cat litter product is extremely light, those who share a room with their cat’s litter or who are used to scented cat litters may find it is not strong enough at masking the scent of their cat’s waste.
Benefits of Corn Cat Litter
1. Odor Control: Corn cat litter has a natural light scent to it that does an excellent job at controlling even the strongest of smells.
2. Lightweight: Corn cat litter is extremely light, quite a lot lighter than your traditional litter. This is not only a huge advantage to any cat parents who don’t own cars and carry home groceries but also makes shipping far cheaper even with large amounts of litters. With corn cat litter you will never again have to strain yourself carrying a massive container of litter when it is time to fill your cat’s litter box or dispose of the waste.
3. Eco-Friendly: On the topic of waste, corn cat litter is far less wasteful and harmful for the environment than traditional clay cat litters options. Since corn is a natural ingredient, disposing of your cat’s waste is safer for the world, and some corn cat litters are even biodegradable and/or flushable.
4. Naturally Absorbent: The corn based cat litters granules that make up the base of every corn litter are naturally absorbent, which not only further masks smells, but also makes cleaning up natural litters a breeze.
5. Dust-Free: Most corn cat litters tend to be almost dust-free, many brands even boasting up to 99% dust-free. This is possible due to the lack of silica dust and the natural makeup of the elements which together make this an excellent option for any cat or a human with allergies.
Factors to Keep in Mind
1. Ingredients: No matter what cat litters you are purchasing it is always important to check the ingredient list. While all the cat litters we are recommending today are made from corn and with elements that are safe for cats, every specific cat reacts differently to different elements. Check the ingredients and keep in mind if you or your cat have any allergies or preferences.
2. Flushable/Biodegradable: As mentioned above, some corn litters are flushable and biodegradable, but not all of them. It is important to account for how you want to dispose of the waste of your cats before you invest in a large container of cats litter.
3. Scent: Corn litter definitely has unique smells, that would only be recognizable to those who have used corn cat litter before. Though the smells are faint, it is present, so corn cat litter may not be the best option for cat parents if you do not want a scented cat litter.
4. Clumping vs Non-Clumping: Clumping vs non-clumping litters spark a form of debate within the cat parent community, but really one is not better than the other, it all comes down to personal choice. For the most part corn cat litter tends to be of the clumping variety since the corn granules in the litter clump naturally when they come into contact with and absorb liquids. That being said, though more rare, there are non-clump corn cat litters available on the market if you have a strong preference.
Corn Cat Litter Cleaning
As with almost every variety of cat litters, with corn cat litter your cat’s waste needs to be scooped up daily. How you dispose of that litter depends on your variety, since some corn litters need to go into the trash, others can be flushed and as covered above there are some biodegradable cat litters as well that can go into non-edible gardens.
Switching to a new kitty litter is never easy, since there are so many choices out there and our kitty tends to get quite familiar with the brands you use often. That being said, changing your litter doesn’t have to be a difficult task, and if you are looking for a lighter, more eco-friendly alternative to clay litter, corn based cat litter may be the best option for you.