Is Ivy Poisonous To Cats? And Other Plants To Avoid

ivy poisonous to cats
(Last Updated On: April 17, 2021)
Hiding plants from cats can be very difficult since they are capable of climbing on many things in your home. If a plant is poisonous, you should assume that all parts of the plant is dangerous.
Some parts of the plant might have a higher concentration than others, but they can still be dangerous. Some plants will only affect certain organs, and others can cause inflammation in your cat’s mouth or other body parts.

Also Read: What about roses? Are they toxic for my cat?

ivy poisonous to cats

If your cat comes into contact with a poisonous plant, you should take them to the vet immediately. The vet may be able to help your pet. They would diagnose your cat and then determine the best treatment and course of action.

Unfortunately, some plants are toxic enough that they can be fatal. These fatal plants can’t be treated by a vet. The best thing you can do is keep any plants that can harm your cat out of your home.

English Ivy is one of the poisonous plants that can harm your cat. Some other common plants include lilies, marijuana, tulip bulbs, yew, azaleas and pothos. There are many more plants that are poisonous to cats.

If you are considering buying a plant or flower, you should check the plant to make sure it won’t be harmful to your furry friends.

Also Read: Spider Plants and Your Cat – Take Note of These!


Danger Signs To Watch For

  • Most plants will cause inflammation in your cat’s mouth or gastrointestinal tracts. You will more than likely notice redness, swelling, or severe itchiness. These can be some of the beginning warning signs for you to notice. If you notice any of these symptoms in your cat, you should contact your vet and take your cat to be seen.
  • If the plant targets a specific organ, you will have to look for other signs. These signs will correlate with the organ affected. If your cat’s airways have been affected, you will notice that they have a harder time breathing.
  • If their throat, mouth, or esophagus has been damaged, you will notice a lot of drooling and difficulty swallowing.
  • Your cat might be vomiting or have diarrhea if their intestines, colon, or stomach were attacked by the poisonous plant. If the kidneys are damaged, they will drink a lot more or go to the bathroom more often.
  • If the heart has been attacked, their heartbeat might become slow, irregular or fast.

You shouldn’t make a diagnosis or try to treat your pet on your own. There are hotlines you can call for information. You can also call your vet and go to see them. Only a licensed veterinarian should diagnose and treat your cat.

If your vet’s office is closed, you can also visit any emergency animal hospital in your area. Even if you don’t think your cat has ingested a poisonous plant, see a vet if they show any of the signs above.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *